Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I couldn't make this stuff up

By his own admission, Michael Schwartz, chief of staff for U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., is somewhat out of the mainstream.

"I'm a radical! I'm a real extremist," Schwartz said last week at a Washington conference on "judicial tyranny" and liberal activists and other such topics. "I don't want to impeach judges. I want to impale them!"

Cousin Vlad would be proud. Coburn, an obstetrician who touts the death penalty for abortion doctors despite having performed two abortions himself, probably won't complain much either.

But no overview of wild-eyed overreaction would be complete without Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, who alerted us a few months ago to the latent homosexual dangers of a cartoon sponge. Now Dobson wants to warn us about another enemy: those homosexual-enabling liberal activist judges, most of whom are both liberal and activist. I'll let him explain:

"I heard a minister the other day talking about the great injustice and evil of the men in white robes, the Ku Klux Klan, that roamed the country in the South, and they did great wrongs to civil rights and to morality. And now we have black-robed men, and that's what you're talking about."

Any explanations? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?