Sunday, September 11, 2005

They're still undefeated

It's the middle of September, and Vanderbilt is atop the SEC East.

No, seriously.

OK, Georgia is tied for the lead, too, but Vandy's 28-24 road win over Arkansas on Saturday was quite a sight to see. If the Commodores beat Ole Miss next week, they'll likely knock out Richmond and Middle Tennessee State and be 5-0 headed into a home showdown with LSU.

To quote another football fan, will this season be Vanderbilt's "Northwestern year"? Is Notre Dame for real, or was Michigan just overrated? Will Pittsburgh win a single game this year?

Treat this as your week two college football open thread.

3 Comments:

Blogger King Cockfight said...

I must root for Vandy even though my family has a rather marred history with the school.

My uncle Eagle Cockfight had planned on attending the university, but he was quickly expelled after he seriously injured 13 of his fellow students at a football game because someone called him a "Commie."

To this day, he has pushed for the school to ban that nickname with no avail.

We can only wish he was as infatuated with his school's nickname as my uncle Carter, who nearly had nervous breakdown in the late 1970s when Middle Tennessee changed their mascot from Klan-founder Nathan Bedford Forrest to a blue hound dog.

But then again, Carter's always been a son of a bitch -- but I digress.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Gun-Toting Liberal said...

Well, I suppose every dawg has its day. My hat's off to Vandy; it's been a LONG time coming (if they're for real).

4:02 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I never really heard anyone refer to us as the "Commies." I did, however, have a friend dress up as a "Commie Door" for Halloween - she just wore a sandwich board with a door drawn on it, with various Communist propaganda slogans written on it. I was impressed.

As for Vandy, while I'm overjoyed at the 2-0 record, this week against Ole Miss will be a big test. Ole Miss might be mediocre at best, but even their worst teams in the past have managed to hold us off (after a hard-fought game), with the exception of the OT win in 1999. If we can win against Ole Miss (and we're favored by about 3.5 right now), I think we're well on our way to being the real deal.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home