Monday, October 30, 2006

They may even get a few thousand viewers

Chances are that if you're a regular (or even sporadic) reader, you already know that the statewide debates are tonight. Just in case you don't, though, this is a reminder that the gubernatorial candidates square off at 7 p.m. on Alabama Public Television, with the contenders for lieutenant governor following at 8 p.m. and the attorney general nominees closing the evening at 8:30. APT then will offer up an encore presentation of it all from 9 to 11 p.m.

I won't be posting live during the debates, but I plan to check in with some thoughts on them later tonight or Tuesday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Wade said...

Kind of a snoozer. Here's my take on the debate.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tyson seemed bloated, incoherent, and at times confused. The few things he managed to blurt out that were coherent were obvious talking points that had been pounded into his head to regurgitate at random and nonsensical points during the debate, like, "I'M THE ONE THAT'S BEEN TO A HOMICIDE". or "I WOULD ENCOURAGE THE PARTIES TO TALK".

King seemed articulate, comfortable, knowledgable and in his element. He may have stretched his lead another couple of points tonight.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Alabamian said...

I agree, Wade, though I would have scored the gubernatorial debate a bit more heavily in Riley's favor. For sure, though, we didn't see any campaign-changing performances -- for good or ill -- on that stage. As with most debates, the rhetoric on the whole did more to reinforce supporters' preconceived notions than to sway undecided voters. I'll guess, for example, that the anonymous commenter was an ardent Troy King fan well before the attorney general debate.

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truman, you need to quit posting the same comment on all the blogs under different names. If you work for Troy, why don't you actually do something that involves prosecuting crime, instead of politics.

I agree that Tyson has a peculiar style. It appeals to some and is a turn-off for others. I think, on the whole, Tyson came off as a passionate crimefighter, whereas King came off as a slick politician delivering soundbites. My wife commented, "Tyson is a bulldog that will kick your a** if you cross him. King seemed to be just talking to get elected." I would have to agree with her; Tyson is one tough SOB, and that's the kind of person I want as the State's top prosecutor, not some politician trying to get in the Governor's Mansion in 2010.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home