Thursday, September 22, 2005

Stop the presses

The long-rumored death of the Birmingham Post-Herald will occur Friday, when the newspaper will publish its final edition after operating for more than 80 years under that name and others. The newspaper's joint operating agreement with The Birmingham News was supposed to last until 2015, but with the Post-Herald hemorrhaging circulation like it was, the owners had little choice but to go ahead and pull the plug.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hanging by the News said...

It's sad to hear about this, but when a newspaper in a city the size of Birmingham isn't even pulling in 8,000 subscribers, pulling the plug is a good business decision.

Are any former C-Dubbers still there?

2:02 PM  
Blogger Altoid said...

I really hate to see it go. The News is definitely a better paper, but I enjoy reading both.

3:40 PM  
Blogger King Cockfight said...

It's like watching a friend with cancer die a slow death until it finally gets to the point where someone can pull the plug.

12:08 PM  
Blogger RightDemocrat said...

Sorry to hear about the Post-Herald. I always hate to read about the demise of another newspaper. While visiting Birmingham last year, I recall seeing a copy of the Post-Herald and being surprised that Birmingham was still a two newspaper town.

As a Floridian, I recall the death of nearly all of our afternoon dailies during the 80's. The Post-Herald situation sounds a lot like the ending of the Miami News which had a number of years left under a joint operating agreeement with the Miami Herald, but was not considered profitable enough to continue publication.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home